Associate Design Director – Star Wars
Game Design (Brighton-UK, London-UK)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Associate Design Director to join us at BossAlien, a division of NaturalMotion, in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will guide and support the operation of the design department, and ensure that they are executing on the creative vision. You will work with the broader creative leadership team to help define the best tactics and strategies for bringing that to life. You are a natural and easy leader who can handle a team, delegate effectively, understand how to leverage the strengths of your individual team members, and build inclusive and collaborative processes with other departments.
You are an enthusiastic mentor and champion for your team, able to provide both constructive and critical feedback in a positive way. You know that design doesn’t just stop with your team, but that it extends to and incorporates the entire studio, and you work to include everyone in the process, and bring the team-at-large along for the ride to keep them informed and empowered to make a great game together
You are a proponent of designing through constant playtest and iteration, and are an evangelist for this process not only within the design team, but to the entire studio. You believe that designers are good listeners, and that they are the conduit for distilling the vast galaxy of good ideas into sound and stable designs.
You believe strongly in the future of AAA game experiences on mobile, and recognize the revolutionary and exciting prospects of bringing extremely high-quality and feature-rich games to the unprecedented global audience that mobile platforms afford.
Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- A key design leader on Star Wars: Hunters, bringing a collaborative working style, managerial expertise, market knowledge and a wide experience of design.
- Manage, mentor, and develop designers within the studio in conjunction with the Design Directors and other leads.
- Own and drive design reviews, processes, and pipelines in conjunction with production and the creative leadership. Provide clear and concise communication of the product vision and design processes to key stakeholders.
- Lead design reviews/evaluations on a regular basis. Respond to emergent design issues/problems in development and ensure these are addressed to meet product goals and release plan targets.
- Live our values of design through playtest and iteration every day with the team. Solicit, organize, and distill feedback from within the team and the broader organisation. Observe and analyse user testing and analytics to recommend design solutions and improve/fix design features during the life of the product as a service.
Required Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience managing a design team, directing work and mentoring staff
- A passion for competitive, 3rd person action titles and a deep understanding of what makes them tick
- You’ve shipped games in a senior, lead, or director-level design role
- You understand that we can only create outstanding games as a team, and have the experience and energy to turn creative direction into fully developed game mechanics
- You are able to find, iterate on, and distill the core joy and delight of game systems and content through prototyping with your team
- Strong attention to detail and understand the importance of balance and strong system design
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.