Junior Designer (Live Ops) – Star Wars
Game Design (Brighton-UK, London-UK)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Junior Designer (Live Ops) to join us at BossAlien, a division of NaturalMotion, in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will be focussed on the live operations of the game, creating fun and engaging gameplay experiences to challenge and delight players across the full spectrum of the fantastic Star Wars fanbase.
As a member of the Design team you will be working on features and systems, providing supporting documentation, working in-engine and collaborating with other development teams to deliver those features to players. A desire to improve, to take on feedback with an open mind and to help your colleagues achieve fantastic results is key.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Content Creation: Work with the Live Ops and Design teams to help plan out and author content that will go live in the game from events to balancing
- Game Features: Produce designs for game features that will add new ideas to the game or iterate on existing systems to make them more effective and enjoyable. Assist in guiding game features through cooperative development other developers. A number of these features will be in response to opportunities as identified by the Design and Product Management teams
- Documentation: As a Junior Designer you will be required to explain and outline designs and ideas in documents that give a clear vision and detailed plan for how they will work in game. This can take the form of text, flow diagrams, tables and mockups – whatever you feel will help you to convey your thoughts to other developers
- Playtesting: A big part of your role will be having an in-depth knowledge of how the live game features work and are being experienced by our players. You will be required to organise and take part in helping your peers to test, iterate and improve features in the game
Required Skills & Experience
We are seeking someone to fulfil the following criteria, however we are always passionate about talking to candidates who have the ability to grow into the role and undertake professional development where necessary:
- Enthusiasm: Demonstrated passion for games and knowledgeable about both mobile and console games – especially ones that successfully deliver new and different content as part of a regularly updated live service
- Attitude: You will be a confident, independent worker, able to own tasks as an individual, but also recognising when to seek and incorporate guidance from your peers. Being open-minded to other personalities and cultures and relishing the challenge of learning about how games are not only built, but maintained and improved once they are live
- Experience: You have some experience working in an industry-standard game development program (Unreal preferred).
- Attention to Detail: Diligent in being careful and precise with implementing designs and methodical to achieve reliable results
- Communication Skills: Being confident and comfortable communicating ideas and thoughts to the design team as well as the broader Hunters development team
- Core Skills: Which will be learnt/developed in this role:
- Design and Communication skills
- Live Ops and Production experience
- Balancing data curves and rates of progression
- Balancing in-game rewards/currency
- Maintenance of design documentation using Microsoft Word and Notion
- Microsoft Excel and Google sheets data management skills
- Unreal Editor experience
- Photoshop or other visualisation software
Desirable Skills & Experience
- An interest in any area of the Star Wars IP and third person games
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.