Game Design Intern – 12 Months
Internships & New Graduate Programs (Brighton-UK, London-UK)
Start Date: Summer 2022
Duration: 12 months
Location: London/Brighton, UK
Type internship: Undergraduate Student (Placement between 2nd and 3rd year)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
We are looking for a Game Design Intern to join us in creating Star Wars™: Hunters - a competitive, squad-vs-squad arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars™: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, squad-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars™ characters.
Are you a motivated and proactive cross-team player, eager to perfect your craft and guide the outcome of your work?
Are you looking for the opportunity to make your mark on a AAA title with an outstanding audience reach?
Do you want to strive amongst people with similar passion and drive?
Send us a description of what you are made of, as well as a convincing professional, Indie or Academic portfolio.
As an official member of the Game Design Team, you are, by definition player-centric, and willing to take on creative and technical challenges on a daily basis, with a people-first approach.
As priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Design Documentation:
You will be responsible for writing clear design documentation related to a piece of content or a feature, from One-Pager overviews, through to Full Specifications, ready to implement and always kept up-to-date.
- Hands-On Implementation:
You will learn our development tools and processes to support and channel your efforts toward the shared goals and objectives of the Team.
- Quality Playtesting:
You will extensively play the game and deliver qualitative feedback across the whole design process, making sure the content you review is as engaging and polished as possible.
- Clear, Open-Minded Communication:
Using software such as Confluence, Slack and Email as well as being in both virtual and face-to-face meetings, you will be expected to communicate clearly, tailoring your approach to meet the needs of different disciplines and groups and also being thoughtful and respectful to the communication styles of your colleagues.
- Cross-Discipline Collaboration:
You will be required to support the Project goals and collaborate within the Design Team as well as at the crossroad of other discipline’s Teams.
- You are an independent worker that is able to quickly integrate yourself into a large, multi-cultural team
- An unquenchable thirst of knowledge
- Ability to learn new tools and developer methodologies
- Comfortable with the Unreal Editor or Unity and repository tools
- At ease with collaborative tools (Google Suite, Confluence, Notion etc)
- Curious, respectful, people-first and with a self-driving attitude
How to apply
Please apply with your CV and covering letter. If you have a portfolio of work, we would love to see it: we’re excited to see any games you’ve built, and any other personal projects and/or open-source contributions, especially if you can show us work that you’ve done both solo and with others.
Your covering letter should include:
- Why would you like to do an internship with BossAlien?
- Why have you chosen this specific internship?
What we offer
- Paid internship, working on a real project with a collaborative team
- We will invest in your development and help you level up your craft by learning new skills and the realities of developing a AAA title that players are already engaged with
- You will be assigned a personal mentor who will support you through the full duration of your internship
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Well stocked office kitchen and free Monday team lunch
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- And did we mention you’ll be working on an officially licensed Star Wars™ game?!
NaturalMotion and BossAlien are equal opportunity employers. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Zynga does not engage in financial exchanges during the recruitment or onboarding process. We do not conduct job interviews over third-party messaging apps such as Telegram, WhatsApp or others. We will never ask you for your personal or financial information over unofficial chat channels. Our in-house recruitment team only contacts individuals via official company email addresses (i.e., via a zynga.com or naturalmotion.com email domain).
If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, you may wish to contact the authorities. In the United States, you may file a complaint with the FBI. More information is available here: https://www.ic3.gov.