Lead Experience Designer – Star Wars
UI / UX Design (London-UK)
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past five years NaturalMotion Studios have been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
NaturalMotion are hiring for a Lead Experience Designer to join us in creating Star Wars: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will assist the Franchise Leads in developing and carrying out the XD vision. Leading the effort in innovative and groundbreaking design solutions to create user-centred design solutions that promote ease of use, employ best-in-class game/interaction design, and optimize the user experience universally in response to user testing.
You will manage a team of UX Designers and lead all phases of the design process including conceptual design/development, graphic and interface design, interaction models, prototypes, user/task flows and art production.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the task management and career development of other UI/UX team members
- Set examples, guides, and standard methodologies in UI/UX
- Lead and participate in company-wide UX community events, critiques, product reviews, and feature retrospectives
- Collaborate with the Product and Design teams to conceptualise, define, and develop features that yield outstanding experiences for our players
- Synthesize the needs of players and all game departments to find solutions that work for all
- Participate in the planning and moderating of user testing
- Conduct market competitor research and deconstructs
- Participate in researching consumer insight, developing personas and analysing data
- Partner with Technical Artists and Engineers to implement user interface game assets in the game engine
- Find opportunities to mentor, share your knowledge, insight and experiences with others
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience working in the games industry, specialising in UX
- Previous team lead and/or people management experience
- Expert in the application of fundamental UX Design Principles
- Seasoned authority on the UX Design process: defining usability challenges, researching the problem space, analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, designing appropriate solutions, and validating ideas through testing
- Experienced expert in designing for games vs. task completion, specifically supporting fun and engagement
- High degree of competence in assessing and addressing product usability and applying user psychology
- An accomplished expert with prototyping design software (Figma, Sketch, or similar tools) and the prototype development process
- Full understanding of the limitations and best practices of developing games for mobile devices
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work efficiency, handle time effectively, and complete your work with minimal oversight
- Highly proficient written and verbal communication skills, including technical writing
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Axure, Framer, or other interactive prototyping packages
- Experience with Unreal Engine or similar game engines
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary and discretionary annual bonus scheme
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world
- Work in a family-oriented, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday
- 26 days holiday + bank holidays, 2 paid personal days
- 6 months of fully paid maternity/adoption leave or 16 weeks of fully paid paternity leave (eligibility criteria apply)
- Pension plan with a double matching employer contribution (capped at 8%)
- Private medical insurance, dental insurance and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, accident insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Company Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) (eligibility criteria apply)
- Fitness Reimbursement plan worth £600 per annum
- Charitable Giving Platform to which the Company contributes a 2:1
- Annual season ticket advance and cycle to work scheme
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and dedicated workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.
Zynga does not engage in financial exchanges during the recruitment or onboarding process. We do not conduct job interviews over third-party messaging apps such as Telegram, WhatsApp or others. We will never ask you for your personal or financial information over unofficial chat channels. Our in-house recruitment team only contacts individuals via official company email addresses (i.e., via a zynga.com or naturalmotion.com email domain).
If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, you may wish to contact the authorities. In the United States, you may file a complaint with the FBI. More information is available here: https://www.ic3.gov.