Lead Tools Engineer – Star Wars
Engineering (London, London)
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past three years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group is a BAFTA-nominated team supporting development on an exciting new Star Wars™ game and running live operations on Dawn of Titans.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Senior Systems Engineer (Client) to join us at NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) in creating Star Wars: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will excel at system level work for games, including low level optimisation, platform SDK integration, audio and inputs, and build pipeline tools. You will also have opportunities to improve our engineering team performance with automation of repetitive tasks, and delve into other low level systems like graphics and voice comms.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will help drive the design and implementation of underlying game systems, building on the functionality of the Unreal Engine
- We are a close-knit team, and you will collaborate to create systems and tools for game and events building, including CI/CD pipelines and Jenkins jobs
- Ensuring the creation of well-designed, adaptable, and testable software, including work on automated testing pipelines
- Working with game platform and 3rd party middleware SDKs and APIs
- Gathering and sharing knowledge across our Action Strategy Group
Required Skills & Experience
- You have developed and released multiple games with Unreal, and at least one game as a client systems coder
- You have deep experience with C++, plus a good understanding of various CPU and GPU hardware
- You are a good authority when it comes to systems and build pipelines engineering
- You document your code and systems with concise overview descriptions and guides
- Have good understanding of system design patterns, memory/performance optimisation, and how to document knowledge
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Specialist knowledge in areas such as automated testing, profiling, optimisation, I/O, audio or other areas is always a bonus
- Experience with game incident response, dev-ops and live incident resolution
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.