Lead Tools Engineer – Star Wars
Engineering (London, London)
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past three years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group is a BAFTA-nominated team supporting development on an exciting new Star Wars™ game and running live operations on Dawn of Titans.
We are looking for Senior Systems Engineer (Client) to join us at NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) in creating Star Wars: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will excel at system level work for games, including low level optimisation, platform SDK integration, audio and inputs, and build pipeline tools. You will also have opportunities to improve our engineering team performance with automation of repetitive tasks, and delve into other low level systems like graphics and voice comms.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will help drive the design and implementation of underlying game systems, building on the functionality of the Unreal Engine
- We are a close-knit team, and you will collaborate to create systems and tools for game and events building, including CI/CD pipelines and Jenkins jobs
- Ensuring the creation of well-designed, adaptable, and testable software, including work on automated testing pipelines
- Working with game platform and 3rd party middleware SDKs and APIs
- Gathering and sharing knowledge across our Action Strategy Group
Required Skills & Experience
- You have developed and released multiple games with Unreal, and at least one game as a client systems coder
- You have deep experience with C++, plus a good understanding of various CPU and GPU hardware
- You are a good authority when it comes to systems and build pipelines engineering
- You document your code and systems with concise overview descriptions and guides
- Have good understanding of system design patterns, memory/performance optimisation, and how to document knowledge
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Specialist knowledge in areas such as automated testing, profiling, optimisation, I/O, audio or other areas is always a bonus
- Experience with game incident response, dev-ops and live incident resolution
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.