Lead UX Designer – Star Wars
Art & Animation (Brighton-UK, London-UK)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We seek a Lead User Experience Designer to join us in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You would lead the team and efforts in creating innovative user-centered design solutions that promote ease of use, employ high-class game/interaction design, and optimize the user experience. The Lead UX Designer will develop the Experience Design vision through working alongside other leads, project stakeholders, Product Management, Engineering and Art to establish and maintain the interaction methods, brand standards, and consistency for the game!
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the UX team
- Collaborate with the product and design teams to ideate, define, and develop features that yield world-class experiences for our players
- Synthesize the needs of players and all game disciplines to find solutions that work for all
- Create user flows, interface wireframes, prototypes, and design documentation
- Employ the classic design process of defining problems, researching, analyzing, designing, and validating results
Research & testing
- Engage in the planning and moderating of user testing
- Conduct research and deconstructs
- Participate in user research, developing personas, and analyzing data
- Conduct heuristic evaluations of internal & external products
- Accountable for the UX of all features in the game, work with multiple feature teams and ensure that UX is implemented to a consistent high standard
- Set examples, guidelines, and standard methodologies in UX for the team
- Be responsible for the management and career development of other UX staff
- Mentor other UX staff
- Present your team’s UX work in team meetings
- Collaborate with UX from other game teams to share and develop practices across the organization
- Lead and participate in company-wide UX community events, critiques, product reviews, and feature retrospectives
Required Skills & Experience
- Seasoned authority on contemporary UX design in digital platforms which can be applied to mobile and console games making
- Defining usability challenges in UX Design process, researching the problem space, analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, designing appropriate solutions, and validating ideas through testing
- An understanding and interest in emerging trends in digital platform UX
- Experience with user research and hypothesis-led user testing
- Real passion for gaming, especially mobile. You can reference the best and worst user experiences and apply the lessons to your work
- An accomplished expert with prototyping design software (Figma or similar tools) and the prototype development process
- An experienced veteran that fully understands the limitations and best practices of developing games for mobile devices
- Experience leading UX Design teams, directing work, and mentoring staff
- Able to present complex ideas to diverse audiences and articulate a convincing point of view
- Able to collaborate with proactive communication and a willingness to build consensus with competing perspectives
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.
Zynga does not engage in financial exchanges during the recruitment or onboarding process. We do not conduct job interviews over third-party messaging apps such as Telegram, WhatsApp or others. We will never ask you for your personal or financial information over unofficial chat channels. Our in-house recruitment team only contacts individuals via official company email addresses (i.e., via a zynga.com or naturalmotion.com email domain).
If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, you may wish to contact the authorities. In the United States, you may file a complaint with the FBI. More information is available here: https://www.ic3.gov.