Lead Vehicle Artist – Racing
Art & Animation (London-UK)
At NaturalMotion, you will play a key part in building innovative games that wow tens of millions of players around the World. In 2018 and 2019 we were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz. Just two of the reasons to join the NaturalMotion success story.
Our Racing Studio - responsible for the CSR Racing franchise - is one of the most ambitious, successful, and creatively inclusive studios in the UK. The team loves welcoming talent full of Professional Pride, Ambition, and Humility, who want to do the best work of their career.
CSR Racing has the most beautifully-detailed, digital replicas of the latest and greatest cars, which our players love to collect and race. The success of our gameplay combined with the attention-to-detail of our cars has led to partnerships such as Fast and Furious and exclusives partnering with the World’s most famous car brands, including Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Pagani and many more.
We are now seeking a skilled and experienced Lead Vehicle Artist to join our CSR Studio.
- Creation of 3D models for vehicles.
- Creation of textures and use good UV layout distribution to maximize quality and efficiency.
- Work closely with the Art Directors to ensure the visual target is met or exceeded
- Implement models using shaders to be used both in games and in social/marketing materials.
- Create assets for art direction and gameplay prototypes.
- Work directly with the programming and game design teams in the implementation process to ensure optimal use of polygons, shaders, and textures.
- Clearly document workflow process and communicate to Art team and Outsource teams.
- Review and assess deliverables from Vehicle Artists.
- Liaise with Producers over scheduling of asset creation.
- Provide outsource design packs and overlook quality of outsource vehicle assets.
- Manage and fix vehicles bugs.
- Participate in gathering vehicle data including photoshoots and CAD analytics.
- Present on behalf of the car team to the studio and wide company.
- +5 years of experience in video game production, and at least 2 as Lead Artist or Senior Artist.
- A proven track record in the delivery of high performance, high quality 3D assets for AAA titles.
- A thorough understanding of all technical aspects of vehicle creation.
- High proficiency in Maya and Photoshop.
- Mastery of mesh topology optimization techniques.
- Experience in high-polygon count, detailed modelling.
- Experience in both modelling and texturing detailed hard surface props and intricate mechanical elements.
- Able to approach and manage mesh detail, lighting and shading techniques effectively in both high-polygon and low-polygon environments.
- Able to optimize low-polygon or mid-low-polygon models while taking aesthetic and technical considerations into account.
- Strong interest in self-development of managerial skills, overseeing the work of other team members and mentoring and developing junior staff.
- Experience working with outsource vendors.
- Good English.
- Affinity for a realistic 3D art style.
- Experience in high-polygon sculpting (ZBrush, Mudbox, etc).
- Experience in advanced shader and lighting tools (Substance, Keyshots, ect).
- Experience in creation of 2D artwork such as racing liveries.
- Background as a Technical Artist.
- Passion for car racing games and cars.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- 28 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown.
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan.
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance.
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class.
- Flexible working hours. We would consider applications for remote for this role.
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays.
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme.
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday.
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.