Senior System Designer – Racing
Game Design (London, London)
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past three years NaturalMotion Studios have been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Our Racing Studio – responsible for the CSR Racing franchise and the #1 Racing Game on Mobile CSR2 – is one of the most ambitious, successful, and creatively inclusive studios in the UK. Based across three locations – London, Birmingham and Bangalore – the team loves welcoming diverse, humble, straightforward and ambitious talent, aspiring for award-winning excellence. People who want to find a place where they will be supported and encouraged to do the best work of their career.
We are seeking a Systems Designer to join our Racing Studio to join the design team working on an unannounced, in development, cross-platform racing title. You will be responsible for working alongside the Economy Designer to design and maintain a number of in-game systems that will underpin the economy, player progression and balancing of features.
You will ensure all features are easy to model and balance, with a clear understanding of the inflows and outflows and how they will scale over time. You will be adept at using spreadsheets and other appropriate tools and software to put the designs together.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- System Design: You will work alongside the game’s Economy Designer to ensure a host of systems that set the pacing, currency inflows, car acquisition, short, medium and long-term player goals and metagame is robust and easily tuneable.
- Live Game Maintenance: You are comfortable working with precision to tune a game that is being played by a large audience very day, reacting to data and business needs. You can make changes that respond swiftly to opportunities whilst being meticulous to maintain the player’s experience.
- Cross-Discipline Collaboration: Working with other disciplines, particularly Product Management, UX Design, Art, Marketing and Data Science to ensure the features you are responsible for are loved by players, deliver on the needs of the business and create marketable opportunities to attract new players.
- New Features: You will be responsible for the systems design for new features that are added into the game, ensuring they work alongside the existing ones and are additive to the experience.
Required Skills & Experience
- Simulation & Modelling Skills: You are comfortable using spreadsheets and other software to carry out simulation and modelling work that underpin a strong systemic design.
- Live Operations: You will have demonstrated ability in executing best-practice Live Operations and Games as a Service approaches, which deliver vibrant, performant content on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual cadence.
- Strong Analytical Thinker: You are able to decompose systems into their key variables and identify the relationships between them.
- Statistical and Econometrics Knowledge: You are able to formulate indexes and ratios in order to combine qualitative game design with quantitative systems.
- Cross-Platform Design: You have an appreciation for how to balance systems that exist on different platforms, allowing players to make progress seamlessly on their platform of choice regardless of currency and wallet restrictions.
- Emotional Intelligence: You will be a confident, independent worker that is able to quickly integrate yourself into a large, multi-cultural team.
- Communication: An elegant, straightforward and confident communicator, you can articulate how to work effectively in both remote working and office setups.
- Genre Knowledge: A demonstrable interest in cars and racing games, you can speak with clarity about CSR2’s strengths and opportunities.
- Gaming Passion: A real passion for gaming, and an awareness of future trends and industry opportunities in different sectors.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.