Test Lead – Racing
QA & Customer Support (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As Test Lead – Racing, you’ll already have confidence in your core skills whilst being aware of what you don’t know yet. A strong sense of personal belief is important, supported by work samples, references, and lessons learned on the way.
You will have a key role in ensuring quality throughout the project with respect to the testers under your leadership, and you will also work with our external partners to achieve the highest possible quality standards. You will be deeply integrated with the development team and QA teams on that basis and be a key voice for ensuring the highest quality standards that our players deserve.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Line management responsibility of multiple QA Engineers working with feature teams at your location; providing support, mentoring and along with Project QA Lead, suggesting potential growth or learning opportunities to ensure continuous improvement, and championing a collaborative, inclusive team environment
- Resolve performance issues with direct reports where necessary, working with Project QA Lead / QA Manager if required
- Plan and estimate QA effort required to test required changes or areas being developed, making sure that effort is aligned with the Project QA Lead where necessary
- Ensuring established QA quality practices are adhered to, informing Project QA Lead of any risks or blocking issues which need to be addressed or mitigated
- Reporting QA progress on specific areas to production and the Project QA Lead, informing them of risks.
- Liaising with vendor test lead for Live QA, assigning tasks, monitoring progress and resolving issues or queries (where required)
- Reviewing all reported bugs are of consistent quality and contain all required information to ensure timely resolution
- Ensure that all team members follow a best practice, proactive philosophy to ensure timely, high quality delivery
- Responsible for updating and adding to departmental Confluence pages, in order to ensure that the team has easy access to all information required to complete required testing
- Improve overall knowledge of the project(s) over time, understanding the relationship being the client and server elements, along with third party plugins, systems etc, and passing knowledge to the wider QA team, being hands on where necessary
- Researching and identifying potential opportunities in tools, automation to enhance and improve test process
- Supporting the QA Project Lead where required due to illness or absence.
- Bachelor’s degree educated with a relevant degree and/or equivalent experience (1-4 years or more) as a Senior QA Engineer or Test Lead
- Prior experience of testing on a live service title, on mobile or other platforms (at least 1 project pre and post launch)
- Prior experience as a line manager or supervisor of one or more QA Engineers
- Clear, concise written and verbal communicator both with internal and external staff
- Have a prior background or experience in testing of some or all the following technical areas: game design, art, graphics, data/analytics, performance, networking, security, platform compliance, agile testing
- Has prior experience with non-functional testing (such as performance, scalability, load testing, compatibility etc) in order to enhance functional test coverage
- Strong working knowledge of test tools and reporting, such as JIRA, TestRail, GameBench etc and have an understanding on how to use such tools to ensure comprehensive test coverage
- Extensive experience collaborating with offsite and/or outsource QA teams, ideally at a development studio
- Exposure to industry standard editor tools (such as Unity, Unreal)
- Exposure to source control systems (such as Git, SVN, Perforce)
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English
- Passion for racing, free to play mobile or console games!
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.